Current:Home > MarketsIndexbit-Paula Abdul sues Nigel Lythgoe, alleges he sexually assaulted her during 'Idol,' 'SYTYCD' -GrowthSphere Strategies
Indexbit-Paula Abdul sues Nigel Lythgoe, alleges he sexually assaulted her during 'Idol,' 'SYTYCD'
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-06 17:53:23
Paula Abdul has filed suit against former “American Idol” and Indexbit“So You Think You Can Dance” producer Nigel Lythgoe for sexual assault.
In a lawsuit filed Friday in Los Angeles and reported by news outlets including Variety and Rolling Stone, Abdul alleges that Lythgoe sexually assaulted her during one of the “initial seasons” of “Idol,” on which she served as a judge for eight seasons starting in 2002 and again in 2014 when she was hosting “SYTYCD.”
In a statement to USA TODAY on Saturday, the producer denied the allegations and said he was "shocked and saddened."
"Not only are (the claims) false, they are deeply offensive to me and to everything I stand for," Lythgoe said. "While Paula’s history of erratic behavior is well known, I can’t pretend to understand exactly why she would file a lawsuit that she must know is untrue. But I can promise that I will fight this appalling smear with everything I have.”
In a statement, Abdul's lawyer Douglas Johnson praised Abdul for her decision to come forward.
“Ms. Abdul knows that she stands both in the shoes and on the shoulders of many other similarly situated survivors, and she is determined to see that justice is done,” Johnson said.
Adult Survivors Act:Why so many sexual assault lawsuits have been filed under New York law
According to the suit, Lythgoe allegedly “shoved Abdul against the wall, then grabbed her genitals and breasts, and began shoving his tongue down her throat. Abdul attempted to push Lythgoe away from her. When the doors to the elevator for her door opened, Abdul ran out of the elevator and to her hotel room. Abdul quickly called one of her representatives in tears to inform them of the assault.”
Years later, Abdul, 61, accepted a dinner invitation from Lythgoe, 74, at his home, believing it to be a “professional invitation.”
The suit claims that “toward the end of the evening, Lythgoe forced himself on top of Abdul while she was seated on his couch and attempted to kiss her while proclaiming that the two would make an excellent ‘power couple.' Abdul pushed Lythgoe off of her, explaining that she was not interested in his advances and immediately left.”
Abdul had signed a non-disclosure agreement as part of her employment on both shows which prevented her from publicly disclosing “sensitive information.”
She says in the suit that she opted not to talk about the allegations because she feared retaliation from Lythgoe. Abdul also says that Lythgoe once called to taunt her that it had been “seven years and the statute of limitations had run” on her window to file a lawsuit.
But California’s Sexual Abuse and Cover-Up Accountability Act created a one-year opening to file certain sexual abuse lawsuits that would otherwise be outside the statute of limitations. The deadline to file is Dec. 31.
In addition to Lythgoe, the suit names companies American Idol Productions, Dance Nation Productions, 19 Entertainment and Fremantlemedia North America as defendants.
Lythgoe produced “American Idol” from 2002 to 2014 and “SYTYCD” from 2005-2014. Abdul, who had a thriving music and dance career in the ‘80s and ‘90s with hits including “Forever Your Girl” and “Straight Up,” has also appeared as a judge on reality shows including “The Masked Dancer” and “Dancing with the Stars.”
Contributing: Kim Willis
New lawsuit:Vin Diesel accused of sexual battery by former assistant
veryGood! (6669)
Related
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- Taylor Swift performs 'Max Martin Medley' in Sweden on final night of Stockholm Eras Tour: Watch
- Why US Catholics are planning pilgrimages in communities across the nation
- Mavericks advance with Game 6 win, but Thunder have promising future
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- Miss USA pageant resignations: An explainer of the organization's chaos — and what's next
- Benedictine Sisters condemn Harrison Butker's speech, say it doesn't represent college
- Joey Logano dominates NASCAR All-Star Race while Ricky Stenhouse Jr. fights Kyle Busch
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- Your Ultimate Guide on Which Crystals Are Best for Love, Finance, Career and Health
Ranking
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- American Idol Season 22 Winner Revealed
- The Race to Decarbonize Heavy Industry Heats Up
- Joey Logano dominates NASCAR All-Star Race while Ricky Stenhouse Jr. fights Kyle Busch
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- Murders of 2 girls and 2 young women in Canada in the 1970s linked to American serial rapist
- 6 people injured, hospitalized after weekend shooting on Chicago’s West Side
- 2024 PGA Championship Round 3: Morikawa, Schauffele lead crowded leaderboard for final day
Recommendation
Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
John Krasinski’s ‘IF’ hits a box office nerve with $35 million debut
'I Saw the TV Glow' director breaks down that emotional ending, teases potential sequel
Nordstrom Rack's Top 100 Deals Include Major Scores Up to 73% Off: Longchamp, Free People & More
Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
Max Verstappen holds off Lando Norris to win Emilia Romagna Grand Prix and extend F1 lead
Slovak prime minister’s condition remains serious but prognosis positive after assassination bid
3 dead, including 6-year-old boy, after Amtrak train hits pickup truck in New York