Current:Home > NewsEchoSense:Venezuela’s government and opposition agree on appeal process for candidates banned from running -GrowthSphere Strategies
EchoSense:Venezuela’s government and opposition agree on appeal process for candidates banned from running
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 17:50:51
MEXICO CITY (AP) — Venezuela’s government and EchoSensea faction of the opposition have agreed on a process through which aspiring presidential candidates who were banned from running for office can attempt to get that decision reversed. The timeline to file an appeal opened Friday.
The agreement, released late Thursday by negotiators from each side and the Norwegian diplomats guiding the dialogue, gives the candidates until Dec. 15 to challenge their ban — a tool the Venezuelan government has repeatedly used to sideline adversaries, including most recently against opposition leader and presidential candidate María Corina Machado.
The deal is part of a broader agreement signed in October between a U.S.-backed opposition group and the government of Nicolás Maduro focused on electoral conditions ahead of the 2024 presidential election. It is also expected to keep the U.S. government from re-imposing some economic sanctions on Maduro’s administration.
The October agreement triggered some sanctions relief in the oil, gas, and mining sectors. But the U.S. government, aware that Maduro has breached agreements before, threatened to reverse some of the relief if Venezuela’s government failed to establish by the end of November a timeline and process to quickly reinstate all candidates.
The agreement announced Thursday instructs interested candidates to file an appeal in person before the electoral chamber of Venezuela’s top court, which is stacked with judges who are loyal to the government and just over a month ago suspended the opposition’s primary election process.
The steps outlined in the agreement also force interested appellants into a quasi-gag order, banning them from incorporating “offensive or disrespectful concepts against the institutions of the State” in their appeal and public statements.
The document leaves open to interpretation what constitutes offensive or disrespectful comments. It also lacks a timeline for the judges to rule on the request, stating only that they would do so “in accordance with the principles of speed, efficiency and effectiveness included in the Constitution.”
“It’s just really puzzling, it’s really thin, and it’s really quite comical in many senses,” said Ryan Berg, director of the Americas Program at the Washington-based Center for Strategic and International Studies. “We’ve been demanding this process, but this is essentially tantamount to Maduro telling us when in the future he decides to make an executive decision on candidate bans.”
Despite the process’s lack of clarity, Berg said, it seems likely “that’s going to be sufficient” for the Biden administration to hold off on snapback sanctions review.
Machado, a former lawmaker and longtime government foe, won the opposition’s presidential primary with more than 90% of support. The government announced a 15-year ban against Machado days after she had formally entered the race, but she was able to participate in the election because the effort was organized by a commission that received no help from Venezuela’s electoral authorities.
Machado’s campaign on Friday declined to comment on the appeal process. Her ban alleges fraud and tax violations and accuses her of seeking the economic sanctions the U.S. imposed on Venezuela.
“On Oct. 22, people took care of the irrational attempt to block me,” she told supporters Thursday before the agreement was announced. “The only thing that matters to me is what people think. The only thing I am dedicated to ... is to build this citizen force that is going to defeat Nicolás Maduro or whoever they feel like putting against me.”
A United Nations-backed panel investigating human rights abuses in Venezuela earlier this year said Maduro’s government has intensified efforts to curtail democratic freedoms ahead of the 2024 election. That includes subjecting some politicians, human rights defenders and other opponents to detention, surveillance, threats, defamatory campaigns and arbitrary criminal proceedings.
Negotiations between Maduro’s government and the U.S.-backed opposition Unitary Platform, began in 2021 in Mexico City with the mediation of Norwegian diplomats. But the dialogue stalled at various points.
From the start, Maduro demanded that the U.S. drop economic sanctions and unfreeze Venezuelan funds held overseas. The opposition sought guarantees for the election to avoid conditions in previous votes that were widely considered to favor pro-government candidates.
____
Follow AP’s coverage of Latin America and the Caribbean at https://apnews.com/hub/latin-america
veryGood! (1248)
Related
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- 6 million vehicles still contain recalled Takata air bags: How to see if your car is affected
- Kourtney Kardashian Reveals She and Travis Barker Keep Vials of Each Other’s Blood
- How many points did Caitlin Clark score last night? Fever routed at home by Storm
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Chipotle insists its portions haven't shrunk, after TikTokers claim they did
- Taylor Swift Gives Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds’ Kids Onstage Shoutout at Eras Tour Concert in Madrid
- Sofía Vergara Reveals How She'll Recycle Tattoo of Ex Joe Manganiello
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- NYC’s rat-hating mayor, Eric Adams, is once again ticketed for rats at his Brooklyn property
Ranking
- Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
- Another Michigan dairy worker has bird flu, the third US case this year
- Russian court extends the detention of a Russian-US journalist
- Report: Dolphins to sign WR Jaylen Waddle to three-year, $84.75 million contract extension
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- 'Star Wars' boss calls out 'male dominated' fan base's 'personal' attacks on women stars
- IRS Direct File is here to stay and will be available to more Americans next year
- USA gymnastics championships: Brody Malone leads after first night for a major comeback
Recommendation
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
South Carolina man pleads guilty to first-degree murder in Virginia police officer’s shooting death
DNA from fork leads to arrest of Florida man 15 years after uncle killed in NYC
Cynthia Nixon Addresses Sara Ramirez's Exit From And Just Like That
Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
Biden is said to be finalizing plans for migrant limits as part of a US-Mexico border clampdown
Answers to your questions about Donald Trump’s historic hush money trial conviction
Bruhat Soma wins 2024 Scripps National Spelling Bee