Current:Home > MarketsMassachusetts issues tighter restrictions on access to homeless shelter system -GrowthSphere Strategies
Massachusetts issues tighter restrictions on access to homeless shelter system
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-07 03:15:36
BOSTON (AP) — Massachusetts Gov. Maura Healey unveiled new restrictions on the state’s homeless family shelter programs Tuesday.
Beginning Aug. 1, families who aren’t prioritized for placement in emergency assistance shelters will be eligible to stay at overflow sites for just five days.
Healey said she was tightening restrictions on emergency assistance system eligibility because of the system’s “continuing capacity constraints” and the need to protect its financial sustainability — in part due to the influx of migrants to the state.
Families will be prioritized for placement in emergency assistance shelters if they have been made homeless by a no-fault eviction or by sudden or unusual circumstances that were beyond their control, such as a flood or fire. They will also be prioritized if at least one family member is a veteran, Healey said.
Families will also continue to be prioritized if they have significant medical needs or newborn children, or are at risk of domestic violence, she said.
Families who aren’t prioritized for placement in emergency assistance shelters will be eligible to stay at what the administration refers to as “temporary respite centers” where they can stay for only five days. Such families are currently eligible to stay for 30 days at overflow shelters and can apply to extend stays. As of Aug. 1, families who stay at a temporary respite center will be required to wait six months or more for placement in the emergency family shelter system.
“We have been saying for months now that the rapid growth of our Emergency Assistance shelter system is not sustainable. Massachusetts is out of shelter space, and we simply cannot afford the current size of this system,” Healey said in a statement.
Amy Carnevale, who chairs the state Republican Party, said Healey “is finally implementing some of the measures we’ve been advocating.”
Earlier this year, Healey announced that families would have to recertify every month to remain in Massachusetts overflow shelter sites, in part by documenting their efforts to find a path out of the system, including by looking for housing or a job.
The change comes after the state barred homeless families from sleeping overnight at Logan International Airport in Boston.
Families on the emergency assistance shelter waitlist who had been sleeping at Logan have been offered transfers to the state’s safety-net system, including a Norfolk site that opened to accommodate up to 140 families.
Beginning June 1, the state also began limiting how long homeless families can stay in shelters to nine months. After that, families are eligible for up to two 90-day extensions.
The latest restrictions are another departure from the the state’s unique 1986 right-to-shelter law, which guaranteed homeless families shelter without restrictions.
Last year, Healey declared a state of emergency, capping shelter capacity at 7,500 families.
Healey said her administration has focused on getting immigrants work authorizations, English classes, and placed into jobs to give them the tools they need to move into stable housing.
veryGood! (325)
Related
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Burundi closes its border with Rwanda and deports Rwandans, accusing the country of backing rebels
- Healthy Habits That Are Easy to Maintain and You’ll Actually Want to Stick With All Year Long
- 'Due date, brew date': Sam Adams wants to give 9-month supply of NA beer to expectant couples
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- Tennessee House Republicans defend requiring tickets for more than half of the public gallery seats
- People’s rights are threatened everywhere, from wars to silence about abuses, rights group says
- Ariana Madix Details Rollercoaster Journey From Scandoval to Broadway Debut
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Haley’s frequent reference to new anti-DeSantis website falls flat with some supporters in Iowa
Ranking
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- This week’s storm damaged the lighthouse on Maine’s state quarter. Caretakers say they can rebuild
- Both Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce snag People's Choice Awards nominations
- A Danish appeals court upholds prison sentences for Iranian separatists convicted of terror charges
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- The lawsuit that could shake up the rental market
- Pay raises and higher education spending headline Gov. Brian Kemp’s proposed budget in Georgia
- Dozens of Kenyan lawyers protest what they say is judicial interference by President Ruto
Recommendation
New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
Pay raises and higher education spending headline Gov. Brian Kemp’s proposed budget in Georgia
Inmate gets life sentence for killing fellow inmate, stabbing a 2nd at federal prison in Indiana
Man who tried to auction a walking stick he said was used by Queen Elizabeth II sentenced for fraud
Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
Pennsylvania police officer shot, suspect injured during confrontation
This 'self-eating' rocket consumes itself for fuel. Scientists hope it'll curb space junk.
eBay will pay a $3 million fine over former employees' harassment campaign