Current:Home > StocksStars of "Oppenheimer" walk out of premiere due to actors' strike -GrowthSphere Strategies
Stars of "Oppenheimer" walk out of premiere due to actors' strike
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 18:56:17
The star-studded cast of "Oppenheimer" left the film's London premiere early on Thursday as the Hollywood actors' union staged its first major strike in more than 40 years.
Emily Blunt, Matt Damon, Cillian Murphy and Florence Pugh walked the red carpet outside the ODEON Luxe Leicester Square cinema Thursday, but then exited before the movie's showing, director Christopher Nolan told the audience inside the theater.
"We have to acknowledge, you've seen them earlier on the red carpet," Nolan said of the actors. "Unfortunately, they're off to write their picket signs for what we believe to be an imminent strike by SAG (Screen Actors Guild), joining one of my guilds, the Writers Guild, in the struggle for fair wages for working members of their union."
After months of negotiations with Hollywood studios failed to achieve a new film and television contract, SAG-AFTRA, which has approximately 160,000 members, went on strike Friday at midnight on the West Coast, joining about 11,000 members of the Writers Guild of America who have already been on the picket lines since early May.
It marks the first time since 1960 that both Hollywood's actors and writers have been on strike simultaneously.
The Screen Actors Guild last held a strike in 2000 over its commercials contract, but this is the first time it has struck over its film and television deal since 1980.
According to the union's strike rules released Thursday, actors are not allowed to promote their work through premieres, interviews, personal appearances, conventions, fan expos or festivals.
Speaking to Deadline on the red carpet prior to leaving the premiere, Damon said he supported the decision to strike, but acknowledged that it would also be "brutal for our sister unions," including the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees, IATSE, which represents tens of thousands of below-the-line film and TV workers, such as editors, camera operators, set designers and grips.
"Nobody wants a work stoppage," Damon said. "But if our leadership is saying that the deal isn't fair, then we gotta hold strong until we get a deal that's fair for working actors. It's the difference between having healthcare or not for a lot of actors. And we've got to do what's right by them."
Among the sticking points for both actors and writers are residuals from streaming services and the use of artificial intelligence.
The Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, the group which represents all the major Hollywood studios — including CBS News' parent company Paramount — said in a statement that the strike was "the union's choice, not ours."
In a news conference Thursday, SAG-AFTRA President Fran Drescher criticized the studios, saying they "plead poverty, that they are losing money left and right, while they give millions to their CEOs. They stand on the wrong side of history at this very moment."
- In:
- Hollywood
- Screen Actors Guild
- Strike
veryGood! (12)
Related
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- NBA announces 2023-24 season finalists for MVP, Rookie of the Year other major awards
- Oklahoma bus driver crashes into a building after a passenger punches him, police say
- 5 Maryland high school students shot at park during senior skip day event: Police
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- House approves aid bills for Ukraine, Israel and Taiwan
- The Lyrid meteor shower peaks this weekend, but it may be hard to see it
- Diver pinned under water by an alligator figured he had choice. Lose his arm or lose his life
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- Israel strikes Iran with a missile, U.S. officials say, as Tehran downplays Netanyahu's apparent retaliation
Ranking
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Bachelor Nation's Greg Grippo and Victoria Fuller Break Up After One Year of Dating
- Oprah Winfrey and Dwayne Johnson pledged $10M for Maui wildfire survivors. They gave much more.
- Takeaways from the 2024 Olympic wrestling trials: 13 athletes punch tickets to Paris
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- Singer Renée Fleming unveils healing powers of music in new book, Music and Mind
- Meg Bennett, actress who played Victor Newman's first wife on 'Young and the Restless,' dies at 75
- Sen. Mark Warner says possible TikTok sale is complicated, and one-year timeline makes sense
Recommendation
Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
Tesla cuts prices on three models after tumultuous week and ahead of earnings
Eminem celebrates 16 years of sobriety with a new recovery chip: 'So proud of you'
Columbia cancels in-person classes and Yale protesters are arrested as Mideast war tensions grow
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
'Do I get floor seats?' College coaches pass on athletes because of parents' behavior
What time does the NFL draft start? Date, start time, order and more to know for 2024
On the heels of historic Volkswagen union vote, Starbucks asks Supreme Court to curb labor's power