Current:Home > Contact2 Muslim women were forced to remove hijabs for mug shots. NYC will pay $17.5M to settle their suit -GrowthSphere Strategies
2 Muslim women were forced to remove hijabs for mug shots. NYC will pay $17.5M to settle their suit
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 16:32:04
NEW YORK (AP) — New York City has agreed to pay $17.5 million to settle a lawsuit filed by two Muslim women who were forced to remove their head coverings to be photographed after they were arrested.
The class-action lawsuit was filed in 2018 by Jamilla Clark and Arwa Aziz, two Muslim women who said they felt shamed and exposed when they were forced to remove their hijabs after they were arrested.
“When they forced me to take off my hijab, I felt as if I were naked. I’m not sure if words can capture how exposed and violated I felt,” Clark said in a statement. “I’m so proud today to have played a part in getting justice for thousands of New Yorkers.”
Clark was arrested on Jan. 9, 2017 and Aziz was arrested on Aug. 30, 2017.
The lawsuit said police officers threatened to prosecute Clark, who was sobbing after being arrested for violating a bogus protective order filed by her abusive former husband, if she did not remove her head covering,
The lawsuit said Aziz, who also had been arrested because of a bogus protective order, felt broken when her picture was taken where a dozen male police officers and more than 30 male inmates could see her.
City officials initially defended the practice of forcing people to remove head coverings for mug shots, saying the policy balanced respect for religious customs with “the legitimate law enforcement need to take arrest photos.”
But the police department changed the policy in 2020 as part of an initial settlement of the lawsuit and said it would allow arrested people to keep their head coverings on for mug shots with limited exceptions such as if the head covering obscures the person’s facial features.
The financial settlement was filed Friday and requires approval by Judge Analisa Torres of Manhattan federal court.
City law department spokesperson Nick Paolucci said in a statement that the settlement resulted in a positive reform for the police department and “was in the best interest of all parties.”
O. Andrew F. Wilson, a lawyer with Emery Celli Brinckerhoff Abady Ward & Maazel LLP who is representing the women along with the Surveillance Technology Oversight Project, said, “Forcing someone to remove their religious clothing is like a strip search. This substantial settlement recognizes the profound harm to the dignity of those who wear religious head coverings that comes from forced removal.”
Paolucci said the proceeds from the settlement will be shared by approximately 4,100 eligible class members.
Wilson said that once the settlement is approved, the funds will be divided equally among everyone who responds by a deadline set by the judge, with a guaranteed minimum payment of $7,824 for each eligible person.
veryGood! (78119)
Related
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Inside the enduring movie homes of Jack Fisk, production design legend
- Your Summer Tan Is Here: Dolce Glow's Founder on How to Get the Perfect Celeb-Loved Bronze at Home
- Alabama's largest hospital pauses IVF treatments after state Supreme Court embryo ruling
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- Angelica Ross commends Issa Rae's 'resilience' in Hollywood amid the racial wealth gap
- Love Island USA: Get Shady With These Sunglasses From the Show
- Washington lawmakers advance bill making it a felony to threaten election workers
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Fire traps residents in two high-rise buildings in Valencia, Spain, killing at least 4, officials say
Ranking
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- Volkswagen is recalling more than 261,000 vehicles, including some Audis and Jettas
- Seattle officer won't face felony charges for fatally hitting Jaahnavi Kandula in 2023
- Washington lawmakers advance bill making it a felony to threaten election workers
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Johnny Manziel says father secretly tried to negotiate for $3 million from Texas A&M
- He moved in with his grandmas during COVID. Now, they're all going to the Oscars
- Katy Perry and Taylor Swift Shake Off Bad Blood Rumors Once and For All at Eras Tour in Sydney
Recommendation
Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
Remains found over 50 years ago identified through DNA technology as Oregon teen
On decades-old taped call, Eagles manager said ‘pampered rock star’ was stalling band biography
Atlanta is the only place in US to see pandas for now. But dozens of spots abroad have them
How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
4 charged in the deaths of two Navy SEALs boarding ship carrying Iranian-made weapons to Yemen
Meghan Markle Is Queen Bee of Beverly Hills During Chic Outing
Alabama patient says embryo ruling has derailed a lot of hope as hospital halts IVF treatments